Amcor Rigid Packaging: Alternative Wine Packaging Offers Opportunities to Differentiate Brands While Meeting Sustainability Requirements


  • Significant increase in production results in sustainability savings for brands
  • PET wine bottles are lighter, 100% recyclable and offer superior environmental benefits
  • Technological advances help meet consumer interest in sustainability

Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 19, 2022 – Consumers are increasingly prioritizing concerns about climate change and increasingly emphasizing sustainability practices and recyclability. Amcor Rigid Plastics (NYSE: AMCR), the largest manufacturer of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) wine bottles, is helping redefine the sustainability needs of an age-old industry.

“The growing consumer interest in sustainability and an openness to look beyond tradition, has made it difficult for bottlers to secure materials. This encourages bottlers to seek alternative packaging for their products in a way we’ve never seen before. Amcor offers a proven solution that meets both consumers’ interest in something different and our customers’ need for a reliable alternative,” said Jonathan Jarman Amcor Rigid Packaging Marketing Manager for Spirits & Wine “As a global leader in the development and production of responsible packaging, we are committed to developing all of our packaging to be recyclable, reusable or compostable by 2025. of PET wine bottles is one of the ways we can provide our customers with a cost-saving solution. at net and a response to the sustainable development objectives of our customers. »

Over the past six years, the demand for PET wine bottles has increased dramatically. From 2016 to 2022 since the beginning of the year, ARP has seen its production increase by 52%. Projections indicate that demand will increase by a further 18% by 2026. In total, the total demand for PET bottles for wines and spirits produced by ARP is expected to increase by 70% between 2016 and 2026.

With a shortage of glass as it becomes more expensive and harder to acquire, PET wine bottles offer a plentiful and sustainable alternative. More environmentally friendly for wallets and the planet, they require fewer raw materials in production and less fuel for transportation. For carriers and wine lovers on the go, PET wine bottles are lighter and easier to transport.

In addition, the manufacture of a PET wine bottle produces 77% less greenhouse gases than a glass bottle. The average 750ml PET wine bottle weighs 85% less than the same size glass bottle, for a total savings of eight pounds per case.

The attributes of PET wine bottles are reinforced by a McKinsey & Company report, The Climate Impact of Plastics, which found that PET bottles have the lowest emissions due to their lightweight properties and low quantity energy needed to produce them. In contrast, aluminum cans produce twice as many emissions as PET bottles and emissions from glass bottles are three times higher.

A PET wine bottle usually has a thin layer of glass. This barrier is fused inside each container to preserve the taste of the wine and protect its quality. The barrier holds the wine while the bottle holds the shape. This ensures that the product retains the integrity and flavor of the wine as intended. Further enhancing the sustainability components, ARP’s PET wine bottles can be made with up to 100% recycled materials and are 100% recyclable. Plus, the bottles are shatterproof, Bisphenol A (BPA) free, and Food and Drug Administration approved.

“We know there is a time and a place for most packaging materials,” notes Jarman. “The market is telling brands that when it comes to soiling their wine packaging, now is the time and the packaging is PET.”

About Amcor

Amcor is a world leader in the development and production of responsible packaging solutions for food, beverage, pharmaceutical, medical, household and personal care products, and other products. Amcor works with leading companies around the world to protect their products and the people who depend on them, differentiate brands and improve supply chains through a range of flexible and rigid packaging, specialty cartons, closures and services. . The company is focused on making packaging that is increasingly lightweight, recyclable and reusable, and made from an increasing amount of recycled content. In fiscal year 2022, 44,000 Amcor people generated $15 billion in annual sales from operations across 220 locations in 43 countries. New York Stock Exchange: AMCR; ASX: AMC | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Source link

Comments are closed.