When Omicron Arrives, Chicago Reflects Requirement for Proof of Vaccination in Restaurants and Public Places

As the number of COVID-19 rises again in Chicago and the first case of the omicron variant emerges in the city, authorities are now considering the possibility of requiring proof of vaccination in public places, including bars and the restaurants.

“I’m certainly more interested in this than the need to make some of the major shutdowns,” said Dr Allison Arwady, the city’s public health commissioner, during a live broadcast yesterday on Tribune reports. Similar policies already exist in San Francisco, New York and, more recently, Los Angeles, but Chicagoans have resisted the idea of ​​a vaccination passport.

There are currently no citywide vaccination requirements, although many restaurants and other businesses have set their own proof of vaccination policies. In New York City, outgoing mayor Bill de Blasio announced Monday that every city employee working in the private sector would be required to be fully immunized by December 27. Mayor Lori Lightfoot has already made it known that she will not impose similar demands on Chicago, her press office says. The Illinois Restaurant Association continues to push that “all diners, staff and visitors get vaccinated as soon as possible,” according to the association’s president and CEO, Sam Toia, said.

But many companies have established their own staff vaccination policies, including the Alinea Group, whose staff, owner Nick Kokonas says, is 99.5% vaccinated and will reach 100% by the end of the month. “We just wanted our employees and customers to be as safe as possible,” he wrote in an email. “About 85% of the employees have been vaccinated anyway. The remaining 15 percent needed a booster.

COVID-19 cases have been on the rise since the weather turned colder, forcing people to spend more time together indoors, and there has been a sharp increase over the past week. Yesterday, the city had an average of 828 confirmed cases per day, according to the Block Club Chicago. In early November, when Governor JB Pritzker was optimistic that the mask’s mandate could be lifted by Thanksgiving, that number was 294.

Renato Turano, co-founder of longtime Italian suburban bakery, dies at 79

Friends and supporters mourn the death of Renato Turano, co-founder and patriarch of Italian bread supplier Turano Baking Company, 59, in the suburb of Berwyn. Turano, 79, died Sunday (December 5th) after a long battle with ALS, family members announced on Facebook. “He was a constant source of knowledge, inspiration and joy to all who knew and loved him,” they write. “His spirit will live on through our business and in our hearts forever. “

Rude service and dancing waiters, a new generation enters Ed Debevic

Ed Debevic’s, the boisterous fake 1950s restaurant that reopened in October after a six-year hiatus, earned three stars in the Tribune from a very tough client: the 8-year-old daughter of critic Nick Kindelsperger. “Is there a restaurant where the waiters are mean to you?” She thinks about it, then asks, “If they’re mean to me, can I throw a milkshake over their heads?” “

Impossible Burger brand unveils virtual meatless restaurant in Chicago

The brand behind the Meatless Impossible Burger is launching a Chicago-only delivery restaurant with a menu of vegetarian delights like the Chili Cheese Shop Burger, the Impossible Pat-B Melt and an Impossible Breakfast Sausage Burrito this week, according to a rep. . Impossible Foods created the menu in partnership with California-based Dog Haus, which will feature items from local outposts in Avondale, Lincoln Park and The Loop. Customers can place orders online for delivery through third-party services, including Postmates and Grubhub.

East Coast Ghost Kitchen Giant Buys Chicago Food Delivery Startup

New York-based ghost-cooking giant REEF Technology on Tuesday acquired Chicago-based food delivery startup 2ndKitchen, founded three years ago, the creator of an app that allows bars and breweries without food service to partner with nearby restaurants, according to a representative. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The service, which was a boon to drinking places even before the COVID-19 pandemic, has become even more valuable as safety rules changed and city officials demanded bars with indoor service to serve. of food or provide menus for restaurants with delivery during bar hours.

Gale Gand starts making CBD cocktails

James Beard Award-winning pastry chef and cookbook author Gale Gand is getting into the CBD drink game. Ghent recently signed on as a strategic advisor to Jeng, a Colorado-based company that sells canned premixed cocktails that replace alcohol with CBD, when it entered the Chicago market. The drink is currently available at 13 stores in Chicago, including Beatrix Market, Double Clutch Brewing Company, Pomeroy, and Sunny Bowls, Ghent’s own soup restaurant at Merchandise Mart.

Source link

Comments are closed.